Being a parent is HARD. [And something tells me it will get a bit harder as they get older!!] Making everyday decisions, knowing what to say and what not to say, can be really tough.
We have four kiddos and we love each and every one of them so very much! If there’s one thing we’ve learned along the way, it’s this: it’s our job to help them understand Jesus is so much more than just a Sunday morning. We need to find ways to let them know, Jesus is LIFE!
But, honestly, that takes commitment. It takes a commitment from us, as parents, to be ready…all day long! [don’t worry, the Holy Spirit plays a huge part in helping us!! 🙂 ]
Last month we read from Deuteronomy 6:5-7a “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children.”
Now read the next few verses with me: 6:7b-8 “Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
Okay, so…let’s break that down. We are to talk about the Lord and his commandments:
- when you are at home
- when you are out on the road
- when you are laying down
- and when you are up
Yeah, that’s pretty much All. Day. Long. I don’t know about you, but I’m always doing one of those four things! So, all day long I should be talking about Jesus and these commandments with my children.
Let’s put it into everyday language:
- When we pick up our kids from sports and they tell us about something that happened… how can you love God through that situation?
- When we kiss them before bed at night…talk about Jesus.
- When we are in the car and driving to get groceries, and someone is telling you about friendship troubles…what does Jesus have to say about that?
- When we are cooking dinner and everyone is arguing…what does the Word have to say?
- When we need help with a test at school…talk to Jesus!
- When we are AWAKE…talk about Jesus!!
Helping our kids translate what we read in the Bible into everyday life, because Jesus is LIFE, is a huge part of our job. The things we read in the Word, they apply to every aspect of life…they’re not just fun stories to read or memorize.
Sometimes, the unplanned conversations are the most impactful. And if our hearts are ready, God can use us to teach our kids in the most profounds ways!